<"www.capecodporcupine.blogspot.com" >

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Please allow me to introduce myself...

...I'm a man of wealth and taste. I've been around for a long, long time...

Ah. No, not quite who you might think.

I was once arrested by that Quincy rascal
John Adams after I advocated the cause of the Federalist party, and under the name of "Peter Porcupine" wrote a series of powerful pamphlets, in which the French revolutionists and their sympathizers were severely criticized. One of your current solons, William Safire, has written a recent book, which exposes all the dirt that MacCullough left out of his reverential volume about that twit, John Adams. Never trust a Scotsman, sirrah! Good dirt on that distinguished bastard, Alexander Hamilton, and how Jefferson bribed the Clerk of the House to blackmail others. My heart warms to this new author, and I wish him well in his career.

I fled these shores returning to England where I wrote dozens of books, served in Parliament, and distinguished myself as an advocate of Catholic emancipation and parliamentary reform.On a May morning 170 years ago, in the midst of a debate on the
malt tax, I was struck down by heart disease, and died soon after being removed to my country house at Farnham. Now almost two centuries later, looking down at Olde Cape Cod from this celestial vantage point, I will comment and correct your errant behavior when I see it. I shall now become the Cape Cod
Porcupine, well able to defend my views and my belly, while casting my darts at those who need it most. From what I've observed, I shall have ample targets, indeed.

Your obedient servant, Wm. "Peter Porcupine" Cobbett, Esq.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pure rapier wit made Peter Porcupine's quills quite sharp and exceedingly barbed. However, to suggest that Wm. Cobbett was the intended target of the Alien & Sedition acts is rather inverted. At the time, he was the leading Federalist mouthpiece, not someone they wanted to silence (that came later). The alien act was much more targeted at that firey Scotsman James Callender and the sedition act was loosely aimed at the Anti-Federalist press and more directly intended for the Republicans themselves... like 'spittin' Matt Lyon of Vermont, the congressman jailed under it.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Peter Porcupine said...

Beckly - as I said, NEVER trust a Scotsman! That sot Callendar was a moth, sickened by the sunshine of my presence. And I was the one with credibility, the one that was TRULY dangerous! Mouthpiece, sirrah? You play with fire...

And in my opinion, nothing would be amiss if a few MORE member of Congress were arrested on the floor like Mr. Lyon.

I say no more....

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

I am nerdier than 82% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out! 

Please take my Blog Reader Project survey.
********

Listed on BlogShares
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
« # ! LifePost + ? » -->